San Luis Obispo Pickleball
Welcome to the SLO Pickleball Club
- We are First & Foremost about having fun … you'll find friendly folks who would love for you to come and join us in a game.
- It provides exercise for our bodies while we are having fun. The game is good for your coordination, your reactions, your muscle development and your mental health.
- Lastly, San Luis Obispo has the best weather for playing pickleball on the Central Coast!
Come join us! We guarantee you’ll have fun! Questions? Email Us
- December 2019 Edition of Slam Dink, the club newsletter
- Minutes from November Board Meeting
- 2020 Board Members/Officers Announced - See details below
- Tournament Player Priority - Fridays, Upper Court, 11 am
- Septmber 2019 Edition of Slam Dink, the club newsletter
- Pictures from the June Women's RR
- Pictures from the June Men's RR
- Renew your membership. Renewals help us do more.
Learn to Play
- If you've not tried this fast growing sport… We have Free Lessons on Thursdays from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm at the Lower courts at French Park. See below for location details.
- Before coming to our Free Lessons, please view this short video describing the basics of Pickleball. Click here for additional tutorial videos.
- We will have all the equipment for you to start playing. Just come to see what the game is about.
- Interested in the History of Pickleball, click here.
For more information about learning to play, click here.
Improve your Skills
Whether you want to gain skills to play in tournaments or just be more competitive during recreational play, skill development can be an important part of your pickleball life. Many players find that there are at least two benefits from visiting YouTube.com to understand the game better and to work on skill development.
First, YouTube has many tutorials on skill development. Just visit YouTube.com and search for pickleball. Some of those are linked in our Learn / Improve page.
And second, there are many videos of tournaments played around the country. Viewing these players will give you an idea of how really good players play.
Periodically, the club will offer Skill Development sessions. Keep your eyes open on this website for our next session.
Pickleball in San Luis Obispo
The City of San Luis Obispo provides three venues for playing pickleball:
- Three permanent courts (French Park Upper Courts) at French Park,
- Four temporary courts (French Park Lower Courts) on the French Park tennis court and
- Three temporary courts at Meadow Park on the basketball court.
In partnership with the City, the SLO Pickleball Club manages and helps maintain these venues.
Below is the schedule for play at these venues and a map showing the location of each venue.
When we play
Open Play - When courts are not being used for Group Play, Club activities or reserved for tennis, you may bring your own paddles, balls and players. City rules limit play to 1.5 hours when others are waiting. As mentioned below, the public is invited to participate during Group Play and club activities.
Club Activities (Club membership not required but encouraged, click to join):
- Free Beginner PIckleball Lessons - Balls, nets and paddles provided by the club. Lessons provided by club members along with play with other beginners. Come by yourself or bring friends.
- Group Play - Balls and nets provided by the club. Bring your paddle and rotate onto the courts in groups of 4 players, first come first serve. All skill levels.
Reserved for Tennis - During these time periods tennis players have priority for use of the Lower Courts at French Park.
Where we play
Join us as a member as we create opportunities to play by 1) supporting the development of new facilities, 2) providing balls and nets and 3) planning social and skill development events.
Board of Directors / Officers (2020)
President, Brian O'Kelly email (805) 610-5186
Vice President, Connie Hanretty-Church email
Secretary, Diane Harrison email
Treasurer, Katie Arndt email
Director, Ken James email
Director, Roar Berg-Johansen email
Director, Jesse Lee email
USAPA Ambassador, Jean Hyduchak email
Join the Gang
Want an official SLO Pickleball Club t-shirt or sweatshirt? Just contact J. Carroll, a local specialty merchandise company, and order one with our CLUB logo. Tell them you are a member.
Official Club Color is TURQUOISE
113 Cross St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401